Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Don't Quit Now...You Can Recover Later

Last week...I was in a bit of a slump (I'll be the first to admit it) I slacked on my exercising.  Now...I hate excuses (like I said previously, people can see through excuses).  So, I thought long and hard about why I went 4 days without working out, and how I can keep myself motivated


Excuse 1. I bought a bad pair of running shoes: About 3 weeks ago I realized it was about time to invest in a new pair of tennies.  It is good to get a new pair of running shoes every 6 months or 300 miles (whichever comes first).  I'll be honest...I haven't always lived up to this standard (I was a poor college students for 4 years, cut me some slack) so I knew it was about time when the traction at the bottom of my shoe was coming off.  I don't really know all that much about buying running shoes, so I went to Dick's Sporting Goods without doing much research (mistake number 1) and a budget of $50 (mistake number 2).   I told the nice man at the shoe department all my running issues such as my shin splints, arch pain, and weak ankles...he didn't seem to care.  He was nice, just didn't really know how to help me find an appropriate shoe.  He didn't even try to get me to buy a more expensive shoe! his loss, I'm a sucker while shopping. So after trying on about 10 pairs (their selection was awful) I found a pair of Aasics that were just OK.

Long story short I tried wearing these shoes for about 2 weeks until finally on a run last week, my pain was so bad, I literally could not run anymore.  My shins were throbbing all week,  I felt like I got duped by the Dick's guy (I could put a humorous play on words there but I'll keep it family friendly).  Without a receipt or the box, I felt I was out of luck for getting my money back...however, I'm not the kind of girl to give up with out a fight.  To my surprise Dick's gave me a full refund no questions asked!  I will not buy my shoes from Dick's anymore, but I will definitely stay a customer.

Well...now I am shoeless.  So I went to Fleet Feet, a specialty running store in Macedonia, to look for a pair of decent running shoes.  This was the best decision I made yet.  The employee there took time to measure my foot, watch me walk, run, and even just stand to understand what kind of shoe I require.  (She even brought out a skeleton foot to show me how the bones work.  I didn't know what she was talking about...but I was impressed.)  Now these shoes were a bit pricier (all of their shoes start at around $100) but in my opinion if you will be running a lot, and have any kind of issue like I did...it's worth the investment.   I did a quick run in them and a spinning class and so far so good!  I'll keep you all posted on how I like them down the road.

My New Kicks!  Brooks Ghost 4 


Excuse 2. I got the Flu:  I think this is a pretty legitimate excuses for missing a workout don't you?  I could hardly walk let alone run.  But the good news with this one is....it was the stomach flu, so I lost 7 pounds.  So that cancels out not working out right?  (I know that's wrong...but it was still nice to look at the scale!)

Now what's the opposite of Excuses?  Incentives! and Goals! (Ok, I know that's not right but just go with it.)

Incentives : Buy new workout gear: I was back in action today at my noon spinning class!  I felt great in my new kicks, and new gear.  Oh did I mention I bought some new spinning clothes while at Dicks?  Like I said...I'm a sucker for shopping.  My first piece of advice for everyone out there...Go buy a pair of spinning shorts.  I just bought my first pair, and they make your legs look so skinny.  Seriously! I am wearing these things everywhere, my legs looked great!  I got a pair for $30 at Dicks, which in my opinion is not too bad.  I also bought a few new Nike dry and fit tops that were about $25 each...so I was ready to go in all my new things!  

This is also another great motivation technique.  Whenever I buy new workout gear, I can't wait to go and try it out.  So if you are feeling in a slump, or not excited to work out, try buying yourself something new.  It doesn't have to be a whole outfit like mine was (I did go a little overboard)  even a new ipod armband, a pair of shorts, tank-top, headband, whatever it takes to make you excited to workout and use that new product!

Buy new workout gear to keep the excitement!
Goals: I am doing a 2-hour spinning "marathon" this Sunday, followed by an outdoor challenge (I have no idea what this outdoor challenge is but I'm scared).  So I have been trying to work up my endurance and skill set for this coming Sunday.  This is a short term goal of mine that I will be so proud of myself when I complete.  I also have long term goals of my ideal weight, size, and running distance.  A great resource to use is the My Fitness Pal App.  It tells you how many calories you need to burn to hit your goals, tracks your nutrition for you, and even allows you to follow friends so it can be a group motivator.  I love it.  I also set small, obtainable goals.  If I run 3 miles one day...the next I will strive for 3.5.  Or strive to go 5 miles in a week.  And then you can reward yourself with the incentives we talked about earlier!! (see how this all comes together?)
My Fitness Pal tracks your food and nutrition.  You can also add in your exercises to add more calories to your diet!

Even little things like downloading new music will make me excited to go running.

When I am really not in the mood to work out, I like to go on the eliptical, or walk on an incline and put on an episode of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix.  At least I am entertained and exercising right??

You gotta put your mind to it go for it, you gotta break a sweat...hmm where have I heard that before.  The Bayside girls know how to stay in shape, have fun, and dress the part!

Here are a few good meals and snacks to eat that will keep you energized and burning fat!

Pre-Workout Snack: Before I workout I like to eat an apple with 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter.  I eat this about an hour before I workout and I always feel energized for my workout.  (One time I tried yogurt as a pre-workout snack...don't do that)

Lunch:  So I really like quesodillas...and I really like tuna...so I thought what if I made a tuna quesodilla? (I know it sounds weird but go with it)  If you don't like tuna you can substitute for shredded chicken

Source: My head :)
2 mini whole wheat tortillas
1 can of albacore tuna (or cooked and shredded chicken)
1/2 avocado
1/2 cup spinach
shredded low-fat cheddar cheese

Mix your tuna (or chicken) with your 1/2 of an avocado.  Put this on your wheat tortilla, and cover with spinach and cheddar cheese (I used less than 1/4 of a cup) top with your other tortilla.  Bake on 350 for about 10 minutes (I just watched it until the sides were crispy)  This was so good and great source of protein, fiber, and healthy fats.  Even with the mini tortillas it was a big serving and very filling...I could only eat half!


Evening Snack: Carrots and Hummus.  So good.
Sabre hummus with carrots

Something my spin instructor says when we are all starting to look tired is "Why quit now?  You can recover later!"  I love that, it's so true.  Give it your all, sweat, and push the limit...you have all day to chill out and eat those yummy snacks I told you about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment