Thursday, March 15, 2012

Jane is home! And I'm making Parmesan Tilapia

While I was closing my eyes to go to sleep last night, all I could think about was what my next blog was going to be about.  As I was thinking of that perfect recipe that would make this blog world renowned (gotta think big!) it quickly came to my mind that Jane (my little sister) was going to be home this week for spring break.  Now, why did that come to mind as I was thinking of what to cook for the next day you ask?  Because Jane is a vegetarian and I have nothing to feed her!  I quickly ran down stairs to see what we had in the kitchen that would suite her vegetarian needs (and as a family of carnivores....there wasn't much).  Now, mind you this was at midnight that I am thinking of my poor, starving baby sister.  You may be thinking...Lizzie, why are you so concerned about your sister's eating at midnight??  I thought the same exact thing and went back to bed.  Sorry Jane...we're having chicken.

Jane and me at Sibs Weekend February 17, 2012 Ohio University

Jane is a freshman at my alma mater Ohio University (that's weird to say), which is great because it gives me a reason to visit for the next four years!  We have many things in common (or should I say everything)...people say we are one in the same!  This is great because we share clothes (except when she takes my things), go to concerts, you name it we do it together.  Poor Jane lives in a family that idolizes meat.  Seriously...we stress out on Fridays during lent when meat is not allowed.  Jane has been a vegetarian for over 2 years now, and I am truly impressed with how quickly she adapted to the lifestyle (sometimes she worries me with lack of protein). But I am thrilled to have her home this week!  It's times like these I wish I had no responsibilities in life and could sit home with her all week and watch movies while eating Honey Hut (the best ice cream ever).  But reality is...I DO have responsibilities, so we must enjoy the time we do have together.  Since I love my sister oh so much, I have been searching for vegetarian friendly recipes the whole family will enjoy.

I decided to head straight for seafood recipes.  Seafood is my absolute favorite.  My mom on the other hand....not so much.  So this put me on a mission....I must convince Ging (my mom) to eat seafood!  I was up for the challenge.  How was I going to do this? The woman has gone 40 years claiming she doesn't like fish. (she would not be so happy if I put her real age....so for the sake of my mom we'll say she is 40)  Here's the thing though...mom has never tried tilapia.  I know she will like it once she tries it...it's the difficult task of getting her to actually eat it!  Well...I could trick her and say its not fish (hmmm, lying to your mom....that's frowned upon right?)  So I searched until I found the most perfect tilapia recipe out there. And let me tell you, this turned out fabulous.  I was told this was the best meal I have made yet!  And here it is.


Ok...you caught me that's not the one I made.  That's the picture from the website.  This is just presented so nicely!!  Mine definitely tasted better though....

Note to self...work on presentation next time. Presentation is not as important as delicious taste though!

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
Source:http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/

Ingredients:


    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese 
    2 tablespoons butter, softened 
    1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise 
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon dried basil 
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper 
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder 
    1/8 teaspoon celery salt 
    1 pound tilapia fillets

Pre-heat your ovens's broiler (I cooked it on high, however low may be the better choice the fish will cook fast)

Grease broiling pan (or line with aluminum foil)

In a mixing bowl, mix together all your ingredients (not the tilapia).  Mix well and set to the side.

Arrange your tilapia filet's on your broiling pan.  Broil a few inches from heat for 2-3 minutes.  (Watch this carefully because it will cook fast and oven temperatures vary)  Flip your filets and cook a few more minutes.  Remove filet's from the oven and cover them with your mixture.  Broil two more minutes or until the topping is brownish and fish flakes easily with a fork.  Be careful not to over cook the fish.

I served this with wild rice and steamed broccoli which paired very nicely with the fish.

Makes 4 servings


Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 4
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 177.2
  • Total Fat: 10.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 63.7 mg
  • Sodium: 226.0 mg
  • Total Carbs: 1.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
  • Protein: 18.7 g


Now I know what you're all DYING to know.  Did Ging eat the tilapia??  She ate her entire plate! (mission complete)

Until next time... Bon Appétit!

3 comments:

  1. Sis! This looks great! Thanks for thinking of me at midnight before bed! I cant wait till you cook for me! I love being home sis! Lets snuggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post liz! It was entertaining and insightful! I definitely need to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sorry Jane, we're having chicken." I laughed out loud at this...keep up the good work Lizzie!

    CK

    ReplyDelete